diver.net

Re: And just how deep were you??? (-)

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Bill on October 10, 2005 at 21:38:30:

In Reply to: And just how deep were you??? (-) posted by seahunt on September 22, 2005 at 05:56:54:

I've done a LOT of diving with black sea bass over the past six years. I've had a number of encounters lasting as long or longer than 40 minutes (until I ran out of air or video tape). I've seen a lot of interesting behavior in that time.

I often dive with female buddies. I prefer them as they are more aware of relationships (ecological, buddy and otherwise).

Many times I have been diving with a female buddy when I encounter courting pairs of black sea bass. Almost every time the male fish has acted semi-aggressively to me, yet swam over to my buddy and allowed her to touch him, etc. On the other hand, the females allow me to touch them and hover next to them.

I am convinced (although as a scientist I have only anecdotal data) that the black sea bass can detect the gender of a human diver. This is not so absurd. After all, we are both vertebrates and there are often only minor genetic sequence changes in protein structure between related forms (although one would expect reproductive chemistry to show some divergence to ensure species recognition).

I think Elaine may have experienced what several of my female buddies have. Don't discount her story.

I might add that much as I was tempted after years of celibacy, I did not attempt to kiss the lady BSB's. I'll hold out for one of my own species (hopefully she will have the bouyancy control of these fish)!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to