diver.net

One element of the argument doesn't hold water

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Bill on October 11, 2005 at 11:59:00:

In Reply to: Re: geeeze capt. posted by Capt. Manny on September 15, 2005 at 19:26:41:

In general I agree with spear fishers who state that spearing fish is better than many commercial fishing practicves which are indiscriminate.

There is one exception that doesn't seem to get much play. Some otherwise legal spear fishers are a bit quick on the trigger and may shoot before they have adequately assessed the size, etc., of their target. In this case (assuming a successful shot), the target may be mortally wounded.

Surface recreational fishers using hook and line may mistakenly land a non-targeted or undersized individual, but they have the opportunity to release it. These fish often will recover from the trauma of a hook whereas a fish speared generally doesn't have that option (although Ihave certainly seen ones that did recover from what appeared to be potentially mortal wounds)!

In both cases (spear and surface fishing), I find it very difficult to accept those who do it strictly for "sport." I see no "sport" in killing something just to kill it. On the other hand, those that eat their legal catch pose no problem to me.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to