diver.net

Re: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anastasia L on October 14, 2005 at 17:31:01:

In Reply to: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape posted by Erik Wade on October 14, 2005 at 16:50:09:

Just a quick two cents - I also was disappointed not to make it to Farnsworth, but NOT making it is always the most likely possibility. :) I suspect not much was made of it on board because Tim and crew assumed everyone knew getting to Farnsworth is always kind of a long shot. And the north side of Whatever Rock (I'm not sure it was Bird Rock - Ship Rock, maybe?) was actually a really amazing dive that day, so I was happy with Tim's choice.

I also noticed the funny-tasting air, and was one of the folks who whined about it loudly enough to get the filter changed - I think I'm that "young female diver" you mention. I believed Tim's explanation for it, and didn't have any headaches or nausea - nor did I hear from anyone who did at the time. It did taste pretty gross for that dive, though, so I can't blame you for feeling queasy. :) The crew did offer to drain and refill our tanks, but we opted not to wait. I felt more brushed off by the SC divemaster than the captain - the divemaster actually smelled the air from my regulator and said it seemed totally fine, but everyone else that I subjected to it agreed it was pretty funky. But he (divemaster) was the only one on duty that day, and seemed stretched pretty thin, so I didn't take it personally.

As a couple of camera geeks, my husband and I still love this boat more than most for the space, setup, and crew. This particular trip turned out to be one of the best I'd done in ages, and so-so vis or conditions at Farnsworth definitely wouldn't have been as fun as the amazing conditions we had where we wound up. I try to be happy diving wherever I wind up, since you can't tell the weather what to do, darn it. :)

Ok, that's all the sucking up to dive boat captains I plan to do today. :) Just wanted to put in a good word in case this thread devolves into boat-bashing... I thought the Great Escape did a good job of saving what could have been a lousy day. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much, and glad to hear I wasn't crazy about the stinky air. I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say about it.

Anastasia

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.