diver.net

What type of cheese with that whine?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on October 16, 2005 at 16:05:30:

In Reply to: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape posted by Erik Wade on October 14, 2005 at 16:50:09:

I've been diving the Great Escape since 1998 and have never had a problem with Tim or his crew. We've had many great dives and, yes, a couple of not so great dives (but Tim has no control over the gods of weather or vis at particular sites). He will take you to a good site if the planned site is poor.

We spent three years trying to get to Cortez Banks on charters only to be turned back by lousy conditions - Tim would always take us to spots he knew would offer better conditions and, thought disappointed, we'd say 'next year'. Well, we finaly made it and the conditions were awesome - no swells, perfect vis, molas everywhere. Was worth the wait.

We've also missed Farnsworth a fair number of times, but Tim was correct in not wasting out time there - sometimes its loaded with fishing boats and sometimes its just too dangerous. When you can dive it, its good, but I think there are better spots for hydrocoral.

As for fill policy - get your tank filled BEFORE you board or be prepared to pay for a fill. That's only right. Some boats will comp a fill for you, but that is NOT to be expected and is something to remember when you figure the crew's tip.

As for bad fills, I've had some water get into my tanks over the years on the Truth, the Cee Ray, and the Encore - a full range of dive boats in the LA area. It happens....probably shouldn't, but it does and with water you don't find out until the next vis. Haven't had one on the GE, but if I did, I'd certainly tell Tim, especially if the air smelled or tasted bad. As for water, I check my tanks if I even suspect any moisture in a fill.

Why did you continue to dive, especially with bad air that supposedly came from the boat's fill? Tim can't fix something he doesn't know is broken. Just when it happens, ask for a fresh tank and extra gate time to allow you to do the dive. That's only right and I'm sure Tim would agree. To complain after you get back doesn't make a lot of sense...sounds like whining.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to