diver.net

Trip Report and Photos: Sea Divers trip to San Miguel on the Peace 9/9/05

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on October 16, 2005 at 18:35:40:

Trip Report and Photos

Santa Elsewhere and San Miguel Islands on the Peace

September 9 and 10, 2005

Story and Photos Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

On Friday evening I got on the Peace with the Sea Divers. This was another birthday trip for me. Fortunately, birthdays at sea don't count. I don't know what I'm going to do next year when my birthday isn't on a weekend.

Even though it officially didn't count, the Sea Divers helped me celebrate. There was a little wine, and a little champagne, and, that is me wearing my birthday hat.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Chris and Kathryn gave me a birthday book, "The Intertidal Wilderness" by Anne Wertheim. I have a lot of books, but this was a new addition to the collection. It has lots of photos and an excellent overview of many aspects of intertidal sea life along the Pacific Coast. Thank you Chris and Kathryn.

The weather was non cooperative with our destination plan of San Miguel Island. We had a somewhat bumpy overnight trip to, I think, Santa Cruz Island. I'm getting older and I don't remember things as well all of a sudden, so maybe it was Santa Rosa Island, but I think it was Cruz. To keep things simple in my aging brain, I've just decided that we went to Santa Elsewhere. The conditions were OK at Santa Elsewhere, but it just wasn't Miguel. To my delight, when I woke up the next day, on my birthday, we were at San Miguel - my favorite island - horray!!!! San Miguel was as lush as ever, and, one of the highlights was diving in thick krill at Shark Park. The tiny fish were so thick that visibility was often only a few feet. It was some of the coolest low vis diving I've ever done.

These are some of my photos of the Sea Divers on this trip. I've "artistically" enhanced them so it is difficult to figure out who some of the people are. When I'm 90 I want to look at this trip report and if I can put a name with all of the photos. If I can figure them out, I'll know I'm still doing OK.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

These were some of my underwater photos from the trip. If I remember correctly (who knows at this age) the LAUPS was on the Spectre that weekend with their photo contest. The LAUPS was supposed to put up their winners for a little inter boat competition. These are my entries. OK LAUPS, where are yours? Assuming that I pale in comparison - can I maybe get an honorable mention for all the the topside people photo artistry?

Simnia, Delonovolva aequalis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Orange Puffball Sponge, Photo by Elaine Jobin Octopus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Rockfish, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Anisodoris nobillis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

At the end of the trip, we had one tired diver. The boat was swinging so much his dive tracker wore him out. Dang....who was that?

Photo by Elaine Jobin

To all of the Sea Divers and the Crew of the Peace.....Thanks for a great birthday. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather been.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Until Next Time.............

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to