diver.net

Re: ear problems from a rough dive

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cajan on October 17, 2005 at 00:04:56:

In Reply to: ear problems from a rough dive posted by Gregg M on October 16, 2005 at 23:40:30:

I am sorry to hear of your accident. This type of accident can happen even in the calmest of conditions.

First, call DAN. They will refer you to an ENT. The ENT will do a hearing test as well as a balance test.

I suffered barrotrauma to my middle ear which was not repairable. I had extreme vertigo and ringing for several weeks. I was told by my doctor to stay out of the water for 6 weeks to allow the swelling to go down. I now have a 32% hearing loss in my left ear which will not return. This seems minor, however Doc says it's pretty major. My doctor ultimately told me to find another sport. But IMO, there is no other...so I continue to dive.

It will heal in time. My advice too, know when to pick and choose your dives. As a DM, I would have probably called the dive, opening night or not. Unfortunately, no one knows what the conditions are at Cortes Banks until you actually get there. And once you are there, you are 5 to 6 hours from the closest island.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to