diver.net

Re: Trip Report - Santa Monica Bay - Wolf Eels - 10-15-05

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on October 17, 2005 at 18:04:07:

In Reply to: Trip Report - Santa Monica Bay - Wolf Eels - 10-15-05 posted by Patrick on October 16, 2005 at 15:44:31:

Hi Pat,

Excellent trip report. Either wolf eels are getting more popular or they just like to hang out where divers are rare. Since I've been exploring the lesser known (and visited) places out on the flats I've been seeing lots of them. There are at least 3 wrecks all around 100ft deep that I consistantly find them on. One is really cool since it has a youngster and a really old looking one in the same hole. Maybe they're a mating pair?

The Moody also has at least one but he can be hard to find since the wreck is so big.

I'm afraid our good lobster hunting around Flat Rock is soon going to be a thing of the past. I surfaced in the middle of 4(!) boats last week when I did the beach dive with Claudette. Each one had a bunch of hoop nets deployed. I happened across one of the hoop nets while headed back to the shore and it was crawling with bugs. No doubt that one could get an easy limit out there with a half-dozen nets deployed. I used to never see these things and now there have been 3-4 boats out there every time I've dove it this season.

Cheers,
Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to