diver.net

Re: Re: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steven C on October 18, 2005 at 06:42:12:

In Reply to: Re: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape posted by MHK on October 17, 2005 at 09:53:04:

Thank you Mike for your intelligent words of support, and for the experience you bring to this thread. Your dive career and your support for diving and divers in general is in my experience, without equal. I'm often disappointed that it's been so long since we've had you on the boat.
As you mentioned toward the end, it seems all too often these days, people of all walks of life and in all realms of recreation, seem to step into the equation looking for one point they can hang their "I'm not gonna pay" or "I want a discount" rationale on.
This isn't necessarily their fault, as this country in general seems to have developed a "I deserve everything for free" attitude coupled with a "I don't do anything for free" mantra. Everyone wants everything they purchase to be cheaper and cheaper, and yet they also want to be paid/rewarded more and more for less and less output.
In support of the finest diveboat in Southern California, I feel like one of the luckiest guys on the planet, that I've had the oportunity to both dive and work on the Great Escape. The time spent making people happy, comfortable and safe has been more rewarding than most people could imagine. The many hours parked at Clem or Barb, enjoying an incredible dinner, planned by Tim or Terry or Rob, and remembering the smiles, photos and sightings reported by the hundreds of divers who truely had a clue what it's all about, will always be in my memories of the incredibly fortunate life I've led.
When Tim announced that he was going to sell the boat, it was a very sad day, and filled with many thoughts about the end of those incredible feelings and wonderful friends. But given the increase in attempted freeloading and whining from dawn to dusk, I can't blame him. I know it hurts him even more because he really does care.
Beneath that gruff exterior (and that stupid beard he used to have) is an excellent, experienced captain who has sacrificed everything for the last 8 years to take divers to the best spots imaginable, while still considering the novices who know how it feels to want to die because of sea sickness.
Tim doesn't need to be a party to all this petty whining, because over those 8 years, Tim's actions speak for themselves. And his actions are transparent for those people able to spend just 10 mintues not thinking about themsleves.
Once again...
Thanks Tim
Thanks Terry
Thanks Rob
Thanks Mike
Thanks Dave (in memorium)
And last but not least, thanks to all the deckhands I've had the pleasure to work with and share bread and stories. And thanks to all the incredible passengers who've let the captain and crew be a part of their lives for a day or maybe three...

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to