diver.net

I always tail them.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on October 18, 2005 at 17:03:32:

In Reply to: Cooking lobsters humanely posted by Dave on October 18, 2005 at 16:47:29:

I may be a bit of a wussy, but if I have to play around in cooked innards I sort of lose my appetite for lobster. Same thing goes for deer. I have a hard time gutting one and then a few minutes later chowing down on one. A few hours of seperation and I'm good to go. This also means that I'm not a big fan of crab... I can put away some crawdads, but it helps if I'm drinking :-)

I love diving and I love to eat the occasional lobster but I don't enjoy the killing part. I've seen a lot of people just bend the tail under and rip it off. I don't know if lobsters feel pain or not, but if they do, I try to quickly put an end to it. I usually stab them right between the eyes and scramble the whole area up there by twisting the knife around a bit. Then I make a few slices around the tail to make sure to get all the meat. Scientifically, I don't know if my method makes any difference or not but it makes me feel better about it. I also try to keep them somewhat comfortable until I dispatch them.

Cheers,
Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to