diver.net

Re: Reflection

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DJ on October 24, 2005 at 19:16:28:

In Reply to: Reflection posted by Kio on October 22, 2005 at 11:32:53:

First the serious part and then the most funny. I was certified in '69 and have actively dived all but about eight years of that. The majority of my diving has either been solo or effectively solo. When I say effectively solo, diving with very experienced divers who hunt usually means you may get in the water at the same time, but togetherness ends there. The three places people typically get in trouble are either entry, exit, or out of air situations. Decompression can be an issue, but in the end even in buddy diving, you have to manage your decompression parameters within your air supply or put your buddy at risk to help you out. The reason I have never had even a sketchy situation occur is because of conservatism. In judging an entry, assume the exit will be worse. If the entry isn't way inside your comfort zone, don't even think about it. Regarding out of air situations, plan on returning with 1000 lbs. On average my actual tank preasure is 500 lbs, but it is usually because I spent more time swiming under the kelp on the return, or I hugged the bottom on the return for exit safety reasons.

Now the funniest.... South of Carmel there is a spot called Mobey Ling Rock. You have to backpack you equipment in about a quarter mile, climb down to a platform to get suited up, and then climb down to a ledge to hop in and later exit with a little help from the surge. Definetly a place where you have to pick your window to dive given the above. It is a great dive when the conditions are right though. One day I got out relatively early, shot a couple fish for dinner, and then did the normal exit. As I was climbing up to the platform, at first all I could see was dress shoes and high heels, and then as I climbed up further, it was clear everybody was either in tux's or formal dresses. Clearly a wedding ceremony!!! As I waddled up with all my wet stuff on, dead fish on a stringer, with pole spear, I am sure the bride was going nuts wondering what I was about to do. I showed mercy though, and found a rock to sit on while the bride and groom did their thing and slinked behind the whole party while they were congratulating the new married couple. I suspect there is at least one woman in the world that was eternally thankful that males are in fact capable of showing a some sensitivty, even if they have basically barbaric tendancies.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to