diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Jet Fins w/ spring straps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JW on October 29, 2005 at 19:23:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Jet Fins w/ spring straps posted by Jerry on October 29, 2005 at 12:41:10:

30 years ago Oceanic made spring straps for there fins. These were the Faralon fins I beleive. Back then few people used them. Diver in the WKPP started to use them for cave diving in dry suit. This is because of a couple of reasons. (1) they didn't break or slip, like the standard rubber straps and (2) they took up slack when gas went to the feet of the drysuit while still allowing the circulation of blood. They are also easier to get on. But the bottom line is there bulky and most of them roll on you heel.

I have a set of the original spring straps. The nice feature of these are the molded rubber peice over the string. Although they didn't last long. I made my own 10 years ago out of ss springs, spear gun line and hockey pucks cut in halves. They were not commercially available then. I still use the same ones and have never done a thing to them. I will wear them with either suit and get by but feel the stock rubber straps work fine for most wetsuit divers. Please keep in mind I taught diving for many years including technical and overhead so I have been able to observe many.

As long as they have good ss springs, limiting cord, you can use aluminum or any plastic such as delrin to make the catches. Although I haven't seen yours (the finest ones) I have seen a lot of them and there all pretty much either copies or loaded up with gimmicky crap.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to