diver.net

Appreciation

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 08, 2005 at 00:17:26:

I want to thank Chris Grossman. When I read the board and I saw "I can't wait for Christmas posts" "Silent Night" started running through my head with a welcome sense of peace (good going Josh). Chris and I have been friends for a good while now, and no, I'm not going to let a sockpuppet make me forget all that Chris has done to make my life a better place.

If it weren't for Chris, my trip reports would never have been. It was with his encouragement that I put up my very first one. It was with his continuing encouragement and enthusiasm for the BBS that more came. I used to live in a house with only a TV antenna, and it was because of Chris that I had the cable company came and dig up my driveway - "faster upload speeds" (and I've never enjoyed free TV since). Until recently, Chris patiently put all of my trip reports together - he took the text and inserted the photos per the enclosed instructions - sometimes it was 80+ photos worth of work. When I found I needed a new computer - Chris picked it out for me, no time or hassle shopping, and, he picked a good one. I made a promise to Chris that I'd learn to do my own trip reports this year to free up some of his time. Chris never pressed me to take that step - Captain Ray's gentle prods gave me the final needed inspiration. In short, Chris has been a mentor, a teacher, and, a non pressuring friend through thick and thin. He deals with the major headaches of this web site and I've rarely ever heard him complain. I had a hard time understanding Chris at first - I wasn't used to friendly giving strangers - then I met his sister and I don't know why, but that was when I decided that he was genuine.

I like the BBS. I like the format. The editors have worked wonders in making the site a good place to visit. The fact that they generally have to do so little editing is another indication that the diving community really is fantastic one. I remember when I made my first posts - I was scared to death. One of the cool things about this sight is that it is free and open in that anyone in the world can post here without climbing through identity proof hoops - and most people don't abuse it. I think I will be a little sad when that changes actually.

Anyway, I've cooled off. So....sorry Chris - you are like family and you are stuck with me. I know that editing is a hard and thankless job.

I know that everyone who was on the Sea Diver trip was tired when they got back - so many experiences - so little time. Sometimes that phrase of encouragement that you have given me so many times is so appropriate "GET OVER IT". It runs in my head now even when you haven't said it.

Thank you for so much. Above all, thank you for being a friend..

Elaine

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.