Re: AAUS Class? Share some info with the unenlightened.

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on November 08, 2005 at 08:41:12:

In Reply to: AAUS Class? Share some info with the unenlightened. posted by Elaine on November 07, 2005 at 20:09:13:

American Academy of Underwater Sciences is essentially the group that sets the standards for so-called scientific or research diving (not to be confused with the recreational certification offered by some of the other alphabets). The training that confers this standard is sometimes called the "100-hours course." This training is needed to maintain the OSHA exemption for scientific diving by agencies and institutitions. See their webpage at www.aaus.org.

I had my training years ago at UCSB by Dennis Divins. As more non-profits and institutions have taken to doing monitoring, there seems to be an explosion in the growth of this training. Mine allowed me to do submerged cultural resource surveys, kelp forest monitoring, and a host of other fun activities. Lots to do out there if you want to get involved. Many colleges and some organization offer the training which some have categorized as "an intensive advanced class where you actually learn to dive."

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: