diver.net

Point Dume photos & critter id needed

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on November 23, 2005 at 22:44:28:

I always enjoy diving Point Dume (I dove there this afternoon). Its such a beautiful beach, the entry is easy, the long swim is great exercise, and at the dive site I never quite know where I am, which is sort of fun. Something there always surprises me. Ran into Tom Wetzel there, quite a nice guy, an instructor, he seems to have been diving here for a long time! btw, two of my photos below are unidentified, let me know if you have any ideas!

The current was mild, vis was about 20ft.

Eye of the horn shark. I love the eyes of horn shark, they are very photogenic.

gopher rockfish - some people think this may be the same species as the black-n-yellow rockfish, just another color variation.

treefish - I probably saw 20-30 treefish today, they were everywhere. only a couple juvies though.

CO-sole. I actually saw two of these, they have a special beautiful color at point dume because they try to blend in with the rocky bottom. I wonder if the two I saw were the same one...

herd of starfish - I love how many starfish are at point dume.

horn shark - ready to kill! I saw over a dozen large horn sharks on this dive. They seem to prefer shallow water, 15-30ft deep.

black-n-yellow rockfish, my favorite; I really enjoy black-n-yellow rockfish; they always let you come very close.

unknown invertebrate - has anyone seen these before? I saw quite a few today, I think I've only seen them once before.

unknown base of anemone - this was below an anemone, maybe part of it, I never saw it before. The anemone itself was strange, and quite uncommon. has anyone seen this before?

sunset on the way home

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.