diver.net

Re: Freediving question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on November 26, 2005 at 07:38:04:

In Reply to: Freediving question posted by Elaine on November 25, 2005 at 21:06:40:

Hi Elaine, MaxB mentioned your post and suggested I chip in, since I've tried this a few times. Which species do you find it easier to shoot with a closeup kit on scuba that you're having a hard time with while freediving? I always found marine life to vary along sort of a skittishness scale -- the antsiest are tough to get close to on either scuba or freediving (which prompts some people to go for a rebreather -- more expensive toys ...). For many species I've had pretty good luck shooting macro with an SLR lens like a 105mm that allows you to get a tight shot from a bit of distance.

The other advice you've gotten sounds good to me -- making furtive movements or a beeline for a fish looks aggressive to it -- eye contact also freaks out many animals.

One area where freediving wins hands-down is with sea lions -- if a group wants to play with you, you can move around a lot easier with less gear on. I've had some very fun games of keep-away (toting a Nik V) at SBI.

Also, freediving can be very good for stalking larger life -- whales, molas, etc. I haven't done much of this personally, but I've admired a lot of Phil Colla's work that he's done on breathhold.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to