diver.net

You will love freediving! It's free and unencumbered~

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on November 26, 2005 at 17:03:54:

In Reply to: Freediving question posted by Elaine on November 25, 2005 at 21:06:40:

Hello Elaine!

Great topic. Everything i know about freediving i discovered by doing it so there may very well be some better info from the learned freedivers. I weight my suit so that i am neutral at about 25ft. i kick down to about that depth (trying to never make a sound by touching your fins together) Then i glide motionless toward my subject keeping my legs together and my arms tucked in, camera ready for a shot. If i need to adjust my body position, i use my whole body in a slow dolphin kick rather than using my arms or legs.

Have the camera out front and ready for a shot on the way down. Don't ever swim directly toward your subject. Try to project a posture of indifference, particularly when you have a subject in view...

You have a great advantage since you do not posses the predator/hunters instinct. Fish are as intuitive as any animals on earth, and they do perceive danger so you need to learn to move in a way that is non-threatening...it is one of those illusive qualities that is best describes as "can't quite tell you what it is, but you will know it when you see it"..

i have a special place at Nicolas that i wish you could see. When you find a rocky structure that allows fish to have an exit out the back, you will find a population of resident fish that make it their home for years. I've only found two such epicenters of life along the back side of the island in the last 10 years, but they are truly remarkable, unbelievable in the sheer variety of life! I had B&Y, Grass Rockfish and Treefish pecking at my fingers last Saturday...I call that place the "treehouse" and the other place "ShangraLa".....

i love that you are freediving! I can't wait to see some of your pictures and to read about your experiences.

Stick with it! Get yourself in the groove! And enjoy the life that comes to check out the big girl otter!

YOU~!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.