diver.net

Night diving a squid run

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Labugman on November 28, 2005 at 08:24:13:

This weekend I went night diving at Catalina with Tom Chung. We had an incredible, almost surreal experience as we accidentally landed in a squid run with phosphorescence in the water. We dove deep on the sand between 70 and 110 feet. There were thousands of squid everywhere and they followed us around attracted to our lights. As they wham they left lighted trails from the plankton in the water. I was able to snatch one by hand as he glided by me. He wiggled a little and then I let him go. Many of the squid were attached by their tentacles in a love embrace. There were dozens and dozens of dead squid lying on the bottom and guess who was there to eat them....Bugs....lots of them. They were there having their Thanksgiving feast. So were seals, angel sharks and a torpedo ray. There were probably halibut too but I didn't spot any.Back at the boat we were given a light show all night by the squid hovering around and the seals chasing them.They left trailers wherever they went. It was a starry starry night and in the morning there were thousands of seagulls circling around the area. They too were going to somehow partake in this Thanksgiving feast. For me it was a feast for the senses that I'll never forget. Another reminder of why I love The sport of diving so much......Mel

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to