diver.net

Testing Pinnacle Polar

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on November 29, 2005 at 12:14:56:

In Reply to: warmest wetsuit posted by Paul on November 28, 2005 at 23:17:19:

I just bought a Pinnacle Polar. I'm skeptical of the Merino wool lining, but it is very well constructed and seals tightly. The Merino lining is not a plush lining (which would be a minus); hard to tell its there.

I went with Pinnacle because: 1. I wanted a one piece including hood with a front zip (don't like farmer johns), 2. they have a 30 day return policy - no questions asked, 3. Its $400 less than the Picasso 9 mm Commercial Termic which was a consideration. Will dive with it this Saturday and will post my findings re: how well it stacks up to a fairly motionless cold dive. I understand it may require 2 pounds of add'l lead (which I will also confirm).

Pinnacle also has a new model, the Extreme which is 8 mm (Polar is 7 mm). It wasn't in stock at my dive shop and given the 30 day policy I decided to try the Polar first. I want something good to 47 to 50 degrees. Understand that Peace Scuba has the Extreme.

First impression of the Polar is that it doesn't restrict movement; I was able to squat, circle my arms, etc. in comfort - the material has a lot of give. It also has stress tabs at all seam intersections.

I would prefer a skin in, but it has good contact seals at wrists, ankles (plus they put the inner seal above where the bootie would go - this is a well engineered design unlike the lame Body Glove seal which actuially goes over the bootie). The theory of the Merino lining is that its wool (and I know from experience that wool is warm when wet) and that it will keep water from circulating (a semi-dry suit is afte all wet by nature).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to