diver.net

Re: Catalina Island and Marine Reserves

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on December 07, 2005 at 20:12:59:

In Reply to: Catalina Island and Marine Reserves posted by Dr. Bill on December 06, 2005 at 22:23:12:

Doc,
Where do I start. You write of the scientific approach being seriously compromised by "those who wish to consume resources". I'll assume your refering to anglers, hunters, and the like. Please keep in mind about a hundred years before you and I were born the original conservationists organized and convinced thier legislators to impose a tax on all hunting and fishing, the moneys of which were used to establish wildlife reserves and preserves and hire managers, biologists, and wardens. This novel approach was followed years later nationally and in California accounts for %100 of all Department of Fish and Game revenue. By the way, those White Sea Bass you see around have been pen raised by a bunch of volunteer "resource consumers". Without those "resource consumers" stepping up to the plate the those relying solely on the scientific pproach would still be scratching thier heads bemoaning the fact that OFCOURSE the MLPA is political. Doc, with all due respect to your passion and knowledge about the ecosystem your illogical view of "resourse consumers" is what has done more to sink the MLPA plan than anything else. You(and your philosophical clones)failed to realize that you were not the first conservationist in this world. Your arogance and ignorance to did more to doom the MLPA than anything else.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.