diver.net

Re: Military Wants Santa Rosa Island

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on December 11, 2005 at 14:15:18:

In Reply to: Military Wants Santa Rosa Island posted by on December 10, 2005 at 20:43:56:

This is a proposal from the silly season of politics wherein members of Congress look for opportunities to take positions and claim credit without having to actually vote on anything and have a record that can be used by an opponents in an election. Proposing legislation is a great way of doing this, knowing full well that it will be sent to the committee of jurisdiction without ever seeeing the light of day before being buried, its DOA.

But Hunter who has a large military consitutuency can claim "look what I am doing for you" while Capps can claim "look what would happen but for me being here." Political theater or charades at its worst.

What's the deal. Last I checked, four years ago, the Navy owned San Miguel, it is administered by the Park Service but owned by DoD. And soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines certainly deserve a little coastal r and r given the dirty job we ask them to do when most of us are unable or unwilling to do it ourselves.

Reminds me of the time Wrigley approached the Navy about buying Catalina during WWII as a recovery and recreation center. That proposal went no where as well. maybe DoD should ahve converted Fort Ord on the coast in Monterey to an RandR center rather than closing it. but you could have been sure that the Coastal Commission would have opposed that.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to