diver.net

Re: eating sunfish

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nate on December 13, 2005 at 15:53:51:

In Reply to: eating sunfish posted by Nate on December 13, 2005 at 15:51:38:

I've posted the most interested part:

The sunfish is the heaviest fish in the ocean per square inch. The two of them lifted the fish onto the gunwale where Alex performed expert, professional and knowledgeable surgery. Pay attention here. The first thing you need to know about filleting a sunfish is that what looks like you should cut and take home is what you throw out. What looks like what you should throw out, you take home.

First you cut off the side of the fish to expose it's inner parts. Amongst the organs you will find a white jelly-like flesh. This is what you want. The side of the fish is like a white meat lid to protect his insides. Turn the fish over and do the same, extracting the jelly-like white flesh. Bag it and chill it.

To cook mola mola flesh you must first boil this jelly like meat for 20 minutes. It will shrink to half its size and become more solid. Then take what's left and fry it. You can bread it or fry in oil and garlic.

In a blind taste test with Linda and Mike Kuhar, Dorothy and Mike Kraus and Gail and I there was nothing but raves. I fooled them into thinking it was black cod. "It tastes like Black Sea bass" "No, like lobster." Everyone loved it. Then I laid it on them: "Y'all been eating mola mola." "Steve, you mean mola mola like in sunfish?" "Yes" I replied. The room is now filled with Mola Mola Killers.

You have no idea how good this was. It's right up there with number one fish to eat. It's awesome. We have driven over the best eating seafood for years without ever knowing it. But you have to know how to prepare this fish. Once you do this correctly, you too will stop on Mola Molas. It's better than yellowtail or any kind of tuna, I guarantee it. It's the undiscovered primo seafood that will melt in your mouth, so sweet and succulent, you will hunt them down.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to