diver.net

I'm amazed

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on December 14, 2005 at 22:30:51:

In Reply to: For those who missed all the fun before, Angel Shark Riding video is back. posted by Max Bottomtime on December 14, 2005 at 20:57:34:

I find it amazing that in this day and age anyone would proudly portray the shark riding video. I haven't looked but I suspect that the video of students smashing urchins is back too.

I was relatively quiet the first time this issue came up, but I will speak up a little more this time. I was certified at Scuba Schools of Montclair - "Rusty's shop". I didn't learn any respect for the underwater environment there. The attitude I was exposed to was "you spend all of this money so you are entitled to go and do this kind of stuff." They certify a lot of students and I cringe at the values that they are exposed to. I had a lot to learn after I got away from there about good citizenship underwater - some of which I learned by being humiliated by the diving community in general.

I don't think that this is necessarily an SSA lack of respect for all things non human. When I was certified, this shop was NASDS. I think it has to do with the owner of the shop and his values not the affiliated agency.

SSA Montclair is located less than 15 miles from my home - and we don't have a lot of scuba stores out here. I have driven 125 miles to get nitrox elsewhere and to not patronize the store even with tank fills.

Is Rusty going to change, I doubt it. I just take my business elsewhere.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to