diver.net

Re: Re: Who said that?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on December 23, 2005 at 18:39:23:

In Reply to: Re: Who said that? posted by RealityChecked on December 23, 2005 at 16:47:46:

It was asked: "Can you say who it was that said this?"

I honestly don't remember. But the comment was made to a Joint Committe on Aquaculture hearing in Sacramento that I was invited to speak at. This was probably in January 2003 but possibly 2002. It was all about the MLPA and there was the eco-friendly side and the consumptive side. Both sides had their time before the committee, sort of alternating. (It was all rather civil given the emotions of the issue.)

This guy was a run-of-the-mill fisherman who I presume was invited to give perspective on what it was like for the average commercial fisherman and what a hardship the MPAs would impose on them.

I was rather surprised when he said what he said because it certainly sounded more like an argument in favor of MPAs rather than against them. He related how he was fishing some species of fish (I think up in the Monterrey area but don't hold me to that), and the species crashed so they moved to something else, then that crashed, so they moved to urchins, now that was crashing and his buddies were moving to sea cucumbers but he didn't want to do that.

Not sure if there's an official verbatim record of the hearing, which went all day, but you could check with the Legislature if you really want to try to track this down to the nth degree. It was a public hearing so the record, whatever form it's in, should be available.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full