diver.net

PADI meets Chucky Cheese

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 25, 2006 at 13:11:00:

PADI meets Chucky Cheese
I wrote the report about my kids trying out scuba through the PADI Discover Diving program and how much of a quandry it was for me. Well now they've gone and done it. Talk about letting the dog out of the box. I guess they are going to have a Discover Diving birthday party for one of the third graders. There will be two instructors. I hear they will show underwater videos. And Chucky Cheese is in the same parking lot for the pizza supply.
Talk about a quandry. An instructor told me that the unregulated nature of scuba has allowed them to get great data on diving. There is no law against diabetics (or other medical conditions) going diving, so divers with various conditions are very honest to survey questions. A lot is known about many odd diving situations, even pregnancy.
Parents are trying to find ways to engage their children and simply get them out of their hair for short periods of time. I would not be at all surprised to see Discover Diving parties to become common. The upside is that the kids with natural incline to dive will be exposed to it, but a lot of others less suited to diving will be also. I see where this is leading. It's vacation time. Are we going to see diver fatalities of 9 year olds?
It would be interesting if laws were eventually passed about the minimum age children can use scuba.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.