diver.net

Re: Dive Report, 10 to 10 on the PacStar

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on February 05, 2006 at 09:21:07:

In Reply to: Dive Report, 10 to 10 on the PacStar posted by Max Bottomtime on February 04, 2006 at 23:42:46:

At Catalina, I have observed that most of the lobster hunters have been heading deep with short dive times. I have had to shorten my dives to fit into the program. For 5 months every year, usually the 5 months when visibility is the best - those with the lobster permits pretty much run the show. The frustration inspired some artwork

Part of what you are saying is what I face every year and it can be hard not to get burnt out.

I've had the most luck:
a) dive with Ross, Patrick, whoever you know with a boat. I have no doubt you got spoiled when you had your boat.
b) dive the Rigs
c) look for the photo oriented six packs
d) visit the northern channel islands - the Peace does a nice mix of great hunting/photo sites.
e) as much as possible, stay open to unexpected oportunities on the lobster/school boats
f) not always, but more often than not, Capt. Strange and Grumpy can pull some dive sites out of his GPS bank that can please almost everybody. He manages to keep the lobster bags and the camera risne tanks full.
g) then there is (gasp) - shore diving.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.