diver.net

Re: I'm writing this down

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on February 17, 2006 at 20:54:19:

In Reply to: I'm writing this down posted by Eric S on February 17, 2006 at 20:30:56:

OK

The 35mm with the "close up kit" is a perfectly good setup. I use it a lot for fish. I don't know the ike stobes but I'm sure they are fine (I think Chuck likes them). Your limiting factor is probably the kit arms that came with the Nikonos. You are very limited as to the adjustments that you can make. Ultralight arms are the ticket - they are expensive though. Before you run out and buy anything new with this set up - bring it and I'll try and help you fine tune it topside on the trip. You want it set on infinity and a quarter of the way between f16 and f22. The optimal placement of the strobe is about a foot out, give or take a few inches - depending on the GN of the strobe.

For macro, the 35mm is fine, but I like the 28mm better because it is a sharper lens for some reason. There is nothing wrong with the 35mm though. What you need is some extension tubes. They happen to be going pretty inexpensively in ebay now days. A 1:2 is a good place to start. Once again, the kit arms are going to limit what you can do with strobe to subject distance. For 1:2 with a 50 speed film at 125 shutter speed, you are probably going to want your strobe somewhere between 4 to 8 inches away from the subject.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to