diver.net

Mini Quadra Island, B.C. report.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ChrisM on February 22, 2006 at 11:09:48:

I know it's not Cal, but it's similar, and very close. 3 hour plane to Vancouver, 2 hours to Quadra.... bada bing

Just got back from four days of diving Quadra Island, B.C. Gulls and buoys, what we do is definitely NOT cold water diving. Wait til the water in your BC freezes overnight and you have to dump ice... ICE!!!! out of your dump valve. Or you have to break the top layer of ice in the camera rinse bucket to get your camera in...... We had an artic flow that cleared the air but with clear skies comes freezing air temps. It was all in celsius, so I can't tell you what it was, but the 45 degree water was steaming, that should be a clue. By Monday some cloud cover rolled in and warmed the place up.

Depending on the computer, water temp readings were anywhere from 41 to 46. Most dives in the 45 minute range. The last dive, one of those putter around dives, was 63 minutes. Luv my DUI suit If I could just get my hands and toes warm.

Cool critters- didn't see a wolf eel or decorated warbonnet, but saw stellar sea lions (Cal. sea lions on steroids), a GPO out in the open... a BIG GPO, somewhere between 6 to 7 feet tip to tip, red irish lords, harbor seals, bald eagles in the trees, walls paved with anemones, walls and walls and walls of metridiums at 10 fsw and deeper.

Only had one real current dive, the rest were more benign. Dove with Abyssal Dive Charters, good operation. Pics to follow

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to