diver.net

Re: Rule of thirds, perhaps?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg M on February 25, 2006 at 08:50:54:

In Reply to: Rule of thirds, perhaps? posted by Learn on February 25, 2006 at 08:18:11:

200 psig...after a very slowwww ascent which scrubbed off the 3 minute deco stop and a five minute safety stop on a buoy chain at 15 feet in wide open water...no kelp! You must not be a bug diver...200 psig is a sin to waste during bug season.

I agree 200 psig is not prudent in some cases, but not a life threatening event in itself in open water at 15 feet. I would say 200 psig at 130 feet with 3 minutes of Deco time would be a bit nuts but that is what a pressure gauge is for, to look at and bail before you ge that close!

I agree a nice class on technical diving would be nice to have...got any recommendations for a class in orange county with a real in depth curriculum, not some watered down event for pontification purposes.

I would also like to point out one of the most qualified "technical" divers perished this year on the Yukon...so knowledge is not half as important as judgement when it comes to taking chances....and scuba diving is always a balance of risk versus reward. If you wanted pure safety you'd never jump in the water and just stay at the dock.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to