diver.net

Trip Report and Photos - Pac. Star 10-10 Whalers Dive Club 2-18-06

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on March 05, 2006 at 22:18:03:

Trip Report and Photos

Catalina 10AM 10PM on the Pacific Star

With the Whalers Dive Club

February 18, 2006

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission

When I arrived at the boat, the Pacific Star "Dive Valet Team" was waiting. They whisked my dive and photo gear out of my truck and onto the boat. It is a very painless way to start a dive trip. Thanks guys!

Pacific Star Crew, Photo by Elaine Jobin

All I had to do was park the car, sign in, and socialize. It doesn't get any easier than that. This dive trip was a 10am to 10pm Whalers Dive Club charter to Catalina Island. The 10am to 10pm trips are one of my favorite itineraries. Day time diving and some night diving. The Whalers are one of my favorite dive groups. They are a terrific group of divers with some of the most reasonably priced dive trips out there. This 4 dive trip was only 95$ - a bargain.

Divemaster Larry Lum, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

I couldn't help but notice that the Pacific Star has new paint and a new look.

California Dive Boat, Pacific Star, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The Old Pacific Star

California Dive Boat, Pacific Star, Photo by Elaine JobinCalifornia Dive Boat, Pacific Star, Photo by Elaine JobinCalifonia Dive Boat, Pacific Star, Photo by Elaine Jobin
The New Pacific Star

As we prepared to depart, we experienced a heavy rain storm, followed by a few flakes of snow and lots of hale. Yes, snow and hale in Redondo Harbor! One heck of a way to start a dive trip.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Captain Dave said he thought that the weather would improve as we moved away from the mainland, and he was right. We had a smooth crossing to Catalina with under some interesting dark skies and later we were treated to a rainbow.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our first stop for diving was at Long Point.

Catalina Island at Long Point, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Visibility here was at least 40 feet with conditions perfect for a nice easy dive.

Catalina Gorgonian at Long Point, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Long Point, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine JobinDiver at Long Point, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Long Point, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin

I saw several hoop nets. Jamie (who was a DM on my first shark dive years ago, and, who is a treasure chest of information on Catalina dive sites) picked up a wayward kelp entangled hoop net - the abandoned/broken ones can be diver snatchers and brought it back to the boat. Jamie was also sort of an informal dive buddy for the day.

Hoop net at Long Point, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver Carrying Hoop Net, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine JobinJamie, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our next dive site was at Italian Gardens. Visibility was excellent. I looked deep and I looked shallow for the Giant Black Sea Bass. It was a great dive, but, the Sea Bass haven't come back yet - as summer residents, they aren't officially expected for another month or two.

Diver at Italian Gardens, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Garibaldi, Hypsypops rubicundus, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Italian Gardens, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Kelp forest at Italian Gardens, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin

As always, surface intervals were relaxing

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our next stop for our twilight and night dive was at Rippers. To me, Rippers is the Catalina version of Redondo Canyon - a perfectly OK dive site in the day time, and a phenomenal dive site at night. Lots and lots of critters that you don't frequently see at Catalina come out here at night.

One diver did the "OOPS I forgot my fins" giant stride. It happens to all of us, at least once.

Photo by Elaine Jobin

On the twilight dive I saw Garibaldi, Thornback rays - my first sighting, halibut, horn sharks, and a few lobsters.

Garibaldi, Hypsypops Rubicundus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Thornback, Platyrhinoidis triseriata, Photo by Elaine Jobin Thornback, Platyrhinoidis triseriata, Photo by Elaine Jobin Flounder, Photo by Elaine Jobin Flounder, Photo by Elaine Jobin Angel Shark, Squatina californica, Photo by Elaine Jobin Horn Shartk, Heterodontus francisci, Photo by Elaine Jobin HornHorn Shartk, Heterodontus francisci, Shartk, Heterodontus francisci, Photo by Elaine Jobin Spiny Lobster, Panulirus interruptus, Photo by Elaine Jobin

On the night dive I saw lots of swimming crabs, lots of coonstripe shrimp, a torpedo ray hovering in my flashlight beam, more lobsters, and a Catalina Conger - my first sighting. On my return trip to the boat I even stumbled across a second Conger eel - for me, it was a very cool find. They swim about just over the sand, and when they figure out they are a photo subject, they back tail first into the sand.

Xantus' swimming crab, Portunus xantusii, Photo by Elaine Jobin Xantus' swimming crab, Portunus xantusii, Photo by Elaine Jobin Pandalus hypsinotus, Coonstriped shrimp, Photo by Elaine Jobin Pandalus hypsinotus, Coonstriped shrimp, Photo by Elaine Jobin Catalina Conger, Gnathophis catalinensis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Catalina Conger, Gnathophis catalinensis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Catalina Conger, Gnathophis catalinensis, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Lobster hunters returned from this dive with lobsters - no huge ones, but legal.

Photo by Elaine Jobin

The marine live excitement continued on the trip back to Redondo. A pod of several dolphins spent the better part of an hour at the bow.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Captain Dave and Crew did it again, another awesome 10 -10.

Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Until next time........

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to