diver.net

Re: Nobody on the boat while diving.

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on March 10, 2006 at 19:40:30:

In Reply to: Nobody on the boat while diving. posted by Bob S. on March 10, 2006 at 07:57:21:

It's a little disconcerting, i know. i was swimming on that incredible bank a few years ago and i saw 5 Giant Sea Bass that afternoon. There was so much life in the water that i had to see what it was like at night. There was a good swell running at the time, but the vis was great; this was summer and the water was warm...

There was a lot of luminescence and a lot of activity. i had a light with me and i would go down to about 25ft (neutral) and gently hold on to the kelp and wait to see some luminescence...

As i chased the glows, i shined the light on Yellowtail aimlessly moving through the dark water as well as a few sea lions. There were bright glows staying on the fringes of visibility down swell right over the wreck almost the entire time i was in the water. Each time i went up for another breath, i would have to stay on the surface and wait for the swells sync in order to get a glimpse of the anchor light. Back under water, i have been mostly chasing luminescent glows that disappeared before i could get close enough to see who they were~

The coolest thing i saw that night was one glow that happened very close to me. As i swam toward the glow, it didn't move away until i got about 15ft from it. When i suddenly switched on the light there were two Giant Sea Bass right next to eachother! One of them bolted straight away and the other one charged straight at me. As he swam right past me he thumped out a warning; a powerful staccato of boom sounds unique to the Giants.

I didn't see much after that Giant's warning reverberated through the forest.. As i made my way back to the skiff, i have to admit that it was comforting to see that singular light in the blackness, every time it showed itself.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to