diver.net

Trip Report and Photos - Sea Divers to SBI on the Great Escape 3-10-06

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on March 11, 2006 at 19:38:08:

Trip Report and Photos

Sea Divers trip to Santa Barbara Island on the Great Escape

March 10, 2006

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission. Theme lyrics from "Gilligan's Island" by George Wyle and Sherwood Shwartz - modified by me for our Sea Diver trip.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, A tale of a fateful trip. That started from this tropic port

Well....actually it started with a trip to a downtown Long Beach Greek Restrant for dinner with Chris, Kathryn, John, and Richard.

Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin

Aboard this tiny ship.

OK, I guess Great Escape isn't tiny. At 80 feet long and 25 feet wide - it's the largest dive boat that we have in the Los Angeles area

Photo by Elaine Jobin

The mate was a mighty sailing man

Photo by Elaine Jobin

The skipper brave and sure.

Photo by Elaine Jobin

Twenty nine Sea Divers set sail that day. For a diving tour. For a diving tour.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our planned itinerary had been an early morning departure for Santa Barbara Island. Because of the rain and bad channel conditions plans changed to a 5:30 am departure for Catalina Island. Patiently, we waited for morning.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

After a quiet night of sleep, the sun started to rise. We exited Angles Gate into a seemingly calm ocean. Not far into our journey, a large gray whale was at the surface right off the bow of the boat. Unfortunately, I missed the whale tail shot.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Next

The weather started getting rough

.Photo by Elaine Jobin

I was on the bow, hoping for more whale sightings or other photo ops when the wind started to blow very hard and a sudden downpour began. I turned after a bright flash to see who was taking my picture, and a huge clap of thunder just about knocked me off of my feet. Wow, a cool lightening storm - close too. The chances of getting struck by lightening ran through my head (really slim, right) and I decided to stay where I was and try for some lightening photos. The rain fell harder, the wind gusts blew stronger, and the waves grew a lot higher After several unsuccessful attempts at catching a bolt of lightening on pixels, for whatever reason, I had a brief moment of fear and decided to head into the galley.

The "tiny" ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew The Great Escape would be lost, the Great Escape would be lost

The ship dropped anchor on the shore of this Catalina Isle, we dove the strangest dive sites that I've been to in a while.

The first was called "Grand Cayman"

Gray Angel Fish, Grand Caman, Photo by Elaine Jobin Grand Cayman Reef ScenePhoto by Elaine Jobin Southern Stingray, Grand Cayman, Photo by Elaine Jobin Devils Grotto, Grand Cayman, Photo by Elaine Jobin Barracuda, Grand Cayman, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The next was "Salmon Isle"

Clown Anemonefish, Amphiprion percula, Solomon Islands, Photo by Elaine Jobin Black Anemonefish, Amphiprion melanopus, Solomon Islands, Photo by Elaine Jobin Trevalli, Solomon Islands, Photo by Elaine Jobin Reef, Solomon Islands, Photo by Elaine Jobin

And finally we dove at "Coco's". Fortunately, there was none called "de Nile", there was none called "de Nile".

Moorish Idol, Zanclus cornutus, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, Photo by Elaine Jobin Fish, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, Photo by Elaine Jobin Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna lewini, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, Photo by Elaine Jobin Hammerhead Shark, Sphyrna lewini, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, Photo by Elaine Jobin White Tipped Shark, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, Photo by Elaine Jobin

OK now I've sucked you in. Your wondering if I've lost my mind. What really happened was Tim turned the boat around, and made tracks for where we left behind, for where we left behind. . Our diving trip was canceled, he hoped we wouldn't mind. I'm just trying to make the best of things......... three weeks until my next Sea Diver trip is a long long time.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Sometimes, being "Captain" is a thankless job. (Poor Tim) Thank you for getting us home safe.

Photo by Elaine Jobin

Thought for the week - Is this a new brand of BC? "Rental"

Photo by Elaine Jobin

Until next time................................................................................................

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to