diver.net

You just don’t get it

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul D on March 12, 2006 at 16:23:55:

In Reply to: Hey Andy, Better get off another Letter to Tasmania! posted by John J. on March 11, 2006 at 21:38:11:

You just don’t get it

For your information, these critters - Astacopsis gouldi - have been totally protected since 1995 as they are endangered, in marked contrast to our local Panulirus interruptus whose population is doing rather well. There is a fine of up to $10,000 (Aus) for the take etc of Astacopsis gouldi. The fellow who found this big animal and is pictured with it is Todd Walsh who, along with his wife Donna, have been doing field research on these animals since 1998 under a special permit from the government. I guess they do it because it makes them feel good. They have done lots to publicize this animal, the largest of fresh water crustaceans. Todd has been recognized by the scientific community for his efforts and has appeared been on the BBC and even “60 minutes”. One other thing I personally like about this critter is that some of them are a remarkable cobalt blue. Even a minimal amount of looking into it would have provided you with a lot of information about Astacopsis gouldi and the fact they are protected. Andy S. who I know through his contacts here a Scripps Oceanographic gave you some good advice – “ It’s a good idea to know what you are talking about...”

Go diving, read a book, relax.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.