diver.net

Re: Re: PADI Standards, fact or fiction?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on March 21, 2006 at 08:24:33:

In Reply to: Re: PADI Standards, fact or fiction? posted by Response on March 20, 2006 at 22:12:19:

This exchange reminds me of a column by the late Darren Douglas about 15 years ago when he wrote that divemasters were on a power trip because they enforced the buddy rule and he felt put upon because of it. I took a certain umbrage at this, pointing out the d.m.'s have no real authority, they either enforce the rules of the boat or the rules of the shop owner who has the boat charter. He did a real disservice to divers to suggest otherwise. I then suggested he take his business to a boat that would let him dive solo, use a kayak, or buy his own boat. I also asked on if his magazine allowed solo diving on their closed staff-only charters. Turns out they did not.

That being said, the attitude of the DM, I believe, is just the reflection of the boat skipper/owner or the charter owner who put the d.m. on in the first place. It is them that the complaint should be directed towards and then go somewhere else. Some D.M.s have attitude, most don't, but then the same can be said for instructors, skippers, shop owners, and divers.

Finally, take stock of the situation. If you are on a cattle boat, don't be surprised if you are treated like a cow!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to