diver.net

Re: PADI Standards, fact or fiction?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Capt. K on March 21, 2006 at 08:28:35:

In Reply to: PADI Standards, fact or fiction? posted by diver from back in the day on March 20, 2006 at 18:30:43:

Diver from back in the day,

The posted definition is exactly what I and my DMs spend 10+ hours a day doing, from helping with tank fills so divers can get back in the water faster to taking off stubborn fins at the step to pulling them out of kelp or deep water when they get into trouble to getting in the water with hesitant divers. Sundiver caters to a large number of 'old timers' and yes, I do make sure their air is turned on before they jump in the water, just as with the brand new divers. I've had divers tell me things like, "I don't need help! I've done hundreds/thousands of dives!" Well then, one would think a 'veteran' would be able to put on a BC without struggling. I myself dive 'old school' and will be the first to admit there are days I'm less than brilliant in the water. Most of the time, it IS instructors and veterans who forget things like air or weight belts or fins. My DMs not only fit the definition, but generally exceed it. I don't know where you're diving, but I've had excellent DMs on other boats as well. DM is easily the toughest job on the boat. If you don't want a dedicated DM monitoring your safety while diving off their boat, beach dive.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to