diver.net

“Blessed lobster divers”

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on April 08, 2006 at 08:42:59:

If you have seen a lobster with eggs during lobster season, consider yourself “blessed”.

I asked about this back in early March of this year as someone said I should encourage divers to leave them as part of our “Let ‘em Live” posters re big bull bugs. I said I’d never seen it in 35+ years of dedicated lobster diving. I did get some anecdotes of sightings of lobster with eggs during lobster season in the last 40 years including sourses that I know are highly reputable, e.g. “Sheller”. However, it is DAMN rare.

The best numbers I have come up with come from a commercial fisherman (CM) who has trapped in S. Cal for the past 28 years and who tells me he has seen between a total of 7-10 lobsters with eggs during the season and this has been exclusively at the start of the season. He tells me he catches about 10,000 lbs/yr. If I figure they average 2.0 lb, that makes about 5000/yr x 28 years or 140,000 lobsters not including shorts he puts back. So if I figure he throws back about 10% as shorts, that makes about 155,000 he has hauled over the rail andhe has seen about 10 with eggs or about 1 in every 15,000 lobsters during the season.

No wonder most of even the most avid bug divers have not seen this.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to