diver.net

Re: Re: DIR? or DIW?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark W on April 27, 2006 at 12:54:01:

In Reply to: Re: DIR? or DIW? posted by Kendall Raine on April 27, 2006 at 10:30:00:

I put the original post up because of the stress of trying to find an advanced course that's going to live up to the hype and the price I pay.

Out here (Atlanta) I was talking to the owner of my LDS who really seemed to know what he was talking about. He was about to sell me on an advanced Nitrox class when he mentioned the 4 hours of PV = nRT that we were going to go into. I can't imagine the redundancy of going through his 20 hours of master diver certification - he made finning in circles seem like mad science.

Once a person is comfortable with all the OW stuff and has a decent amount of dives under their belt if they want to play it safe and get certified for the kind of things that others just jump into (like my buddies) then they run the risk of paying for common-sense or being put in a class of 14 yearolds learning "advanced" techniques.

I'm not really sure what the technicalities of cave or wreck diving are because I haven't learned them yet. I'm going to play it safe and enroll in the classes I think I need - I just want to weed out those that are clearly useless. In the end I'll probably take more than I need to, but thats the price you pay for erring on the "safe" side.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to