diver.net

Rainbow Nudi Bank

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on April 29, 2006 at 15:50:42:

Date: April 29, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Lars and Tony for the first portion and Jim Lyle, Scott and Margaret Webb and Chris Menjou for the second part
Time: 7:54, 8:33 and 10:44
Bottom Time: 2:04 total
Max Depth: 66'
Vis: 10-20'
Wave height: 1-2'
Temp at depth: 51F
Comments: I arrived early to find Lars and Tony suiting up. We entered from the point and headed to the spot where we found dozens of the Rainbow nudibranchs, Dendronotus iris last week. We only found one today. Lars and Tony headed over to the pinnacles while I scouted the deeper secion of the reef for my little friends. I found a dozen or more near my favorite wall. Just as I was setting a marker I heard the Popeye Maru arriving with Real photographers. I waited at the surface until Jim and Chris joined me, then we headed back down to where the strobes began firing. Scott and Margaret joined us a little later. Hopefully there will be many great shots posted tonight. Jim also found a Tritonia diomedea nudi out in the sand.
I hitched a ride back to the cove and made my way up to the parking lot to change tanks. During my next enrty I ripped a hole in my drysuit, flooding it instantly. Since I was already in the water, I continued diving for another hour. This time, I found many more Rainbow nudis in 40-45'. I saw the Popeye Maru farther offshore this time, so I thought they may have lost the marker from the first dive. I towed it back in. Much to my surprise, they followed me, trying to retrieve the float. Divebum Don arrived to carry my fins and weightbelt up the hill while I sloshed around in water-filled boots. I'll make repairs later and try for a couple more dives in the morning.
Chris Menjou, Scott Webb, Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.