diver.net

Re: Re: Shark Identification Photos

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on May 04, 2006 at 21:50:42:

In Reply to: Re: Shark Identification Photos posted by Dr. Bill Bushing on May 04, 2006 at 19:19:01:

The caudal of what I saw doesn't match those of your soupfin photos - it was more of a cresent and it definitely didn't have that protruding upper 'flag' (not sure of the correct name for this). Your pictures are better than most illustrations or pictures I've seen - thank you.

The shape was more of a cresent - much like the DFG's illustration of the shortfin mako's caudal. But not a total match, as the grey was lighter.

When I first saw one of them I thought it was a light colored grey seal as we were close to shore and that's usually what I see (trick of the mind). That first impression quickly changed as first one, then a second swam in front of me. At first I was worried my bubbles would spook them, but they just eyed me and swam slowly off.

I stopped and turned to see if my buddy had seen them (he had) and the pair made a slow return pass in front of us - about 15 to 20 feet off. That is strange I thought - they were either ignoring us or were as curious about us as we were of them. We waited a bit and they made a third pass - I really focused on the caudal fin as I was trying to figure out what they were - it was a cresent with a slight V shaped notch at the top - both of the sharks had that same cresent caudal fin shape.

They then swam toward shore and we waited for their return for a bit before following to see if we could find them again, but they must have gone to find something else more interesting.

They were about as long as a diver (5 to 6 feet), light grey topside and whitish belly. Not as full bodied as most white pictures I've seen so far (most pictures tend to be of larger whites in the process of eating). Would really like to see a picture of a white's pup (doubt if that's what we saw, though, so maybe it was a pair of makos, but I thought they swam faster).

Thanks everyone for your input...guess we'll have to get back therw for another dive! Next time I bring a camera!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to