diver.net

How does the Bill of Rights apply to boats?!!

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on May 09, 2006 at 17:05:16:

In Reply to: Re: I don't think the Bill of Rights ever included a boating amendment. posted by Dave on May 09, 2006 at 16:34:11:

Sorry if I'm just perpetuating some dumbass's trolling on the boards, but if he really believes the Bill of Rights somehow guarantees citizens' rights to boating as irresponsibly as they want, I just gotta hear how he spins it.

Dave, I don't think you understand the basic differences between things when compairing them. You start spinning what I said as saying that regulation would be some sort of magic bullet that would erase all accidents and problems. I don't believe that, and I don't get why you think I think that, either.

Most everybody has a car because most lives require it, for one way or the other. Of COURSE it's going to be more regulated. On the other hand, how many of us require boats in our daily lives? Not a lot of the population; therefore escaping regulation notice until now.

And it's naive to think that regulation is going to wipe out every single problem- and that regulation is going to prevent every single car crash. I'm sure, however, it does REDUCE them; wouldn't you say, if there were no regulation at all?

And the other guy was right in that they already tax boats. And guess what? They also tax scuba diving, and bike riding- with goddamn sales taxes on the stuff you buy in shops. Duh. And in case you haven't left your Kazynski shack in a while, here's a news flash: food is taxed, too.
See? They didn't even need to tax boats first to do that.

Now tell me how the Bill of Rights gives me the right to own boats without government interference.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to