diver.net

I like transpac better than plate

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on May 16, 2006 at 20:50:06:

In Reply to: Re: Dive rite transpac harness sysytem-is it good? posted by Jeff Shaw on May 16, 2006 at 10:47:27:

I've had 5 or 6 BCs now and the transpac is my favorite.

I'm probably one of the few people around who tried the plate and didn't like it, or at least, didn't like it as much as the transpac.

The plate is stable, but I found it uncomfortable. I also travel a lot, and I also switch from doubles to singles, and switch from a wetsuit to a drysuit with thick underwear, so for me, the plate system meant having 2 or 3 complete rigs, or be frequently adjusting my harness, swapping STAs around, etc, moving my knife from harness to harness, forgetting my float on my other harness, etc.

Meanwhile, back to the transpac. I have one very comfortable harness, set up the way I want. I wear the same harness, set up the same way, with the same single knife and sausage, in anything from tropcial water with no suit to my thick drysuit. In warm water, with no suit or extra padding, I can walk indefiitely with doubles on bare shoulders. I can quickly go from singles to doubles even to the dive rite travel doubles bands. I like it very, very much. I have added a pocket to it, I am a photog and need one pocket for a lens.

I have added a crotch strap, which gives me the ability to snug up a 5 point harness and get much of the stabil

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to