diver.net

Re: Austrailia, Fiji, or Cabo San Lucas?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ks on May 25, 2006 at 11:22:39:

In Reply to: Austrailia, Fiji, or Cabo San Lucas? posted by Jacob on May 25, 2006 at 10:55:30:

My take on how to compare these is the following.

Airline time. Cabo is shortest, Australia is longest. Fiji is pretty long too. Long air flights are miserable.

Boat trip time. Fiji is shortest. Australia is longest (Cairns / Coral Sea). Cabo is in between.

Trip cost. Cabo is least expensive. Fiji is pretty expensive. Australia is most expensive.

Currents. Fiji has the worst, Cabo has the least, and Australia is probably somewhere in between. I hate strong currents in fixed-anchor non-drift conditions. If you can find drift diving in Fiji, then I would strongly recommend going for that when there. But in Fiji a lot of the diving is fixed-anchor.

If you have never been to Cabo, I would say go there first. If you have already been, then the next obvious step is Cozumel or somewhere else in the Caribbean or the Florida Keys. Then Hawaii after that.

Ultimately you would try to work your way around the globe to The Red Sea at Sharm El Shaik, Egypt. That is probably the best diving in the world.

But when and in what order you do Fiji and/or Australia, depends on where else you have already been.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to