diver.net

Re: What's behind the loss of the forests of the sea?

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tommy on June 03, 2006 at 20:57:59:

In Reply to: What's behind the loss of the forests of the sea? posted by on June 03, 2006 at 00:20:39:

Interesting - I recently read that marine biologists at Scripps Institute say that kelp beds go through periodic cycles as a result of el nino, severe storms, upwellings, and other factors that they're just not sure of. They admit they simply don't understand exactly why the kelp beds go through these cycles.

During research for my book, I had a long talk with Dr. Thomas Ebert, phd, and arguably the world's foremost expert on sea urchins and their habitats. What a pleasure and an honor, listening to someone like that tell me his thoughts. According to Dr. Ebert, there is much more we do not know about these things than we do know. He is a very humble man & begins many of his points with: "We think this may be happening." Or: "What seems to be happening." His exhaustive reports are available online & not difficult to find.

So, when somebody, even learned experts, say: "This is what is happening", I wonder ... do they have an agenda? Who funds them?

Another item of interest: relocation of sea urchins is illegal according to California Dept of Fish & Game. It has been tried, with resulting high mortality rates. Why were the urchins moved, and not harvested legally?

Do I have an agenda? Sure, I'm a retired sea urchin harvester, and an advocate of our kelpbeds & reefs. Of course they need to be protected.

It's a good topic & one worth discussing.

Tommy
bluewatergoldrush.com

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to