diver.net

Re: Re: fin comparison

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robin Wadsworth on June 12, 2006 at 16:58:52:

In Reply to: Re: fin comparison posted by Patrick on June 12, 2006 at 11:02:52:

Well, after a tumultuous afternoon reading through the ScubaBoard archives (link below) I think I have gotten the lowdown. Or several. Here is a taste, for anyone who may be in the same quandary I was.
Many people seem to back the ScubaPro Jet fin over the US Divers/Aqualung Rocket fin. There seem to be several reasons:
1) Materials; Jets are more flexible, Rockets are stiffer. This does not say much, since a floppy fin can be infuriating, while a stiff paddle can sap your strength. A lot can depend on finning technique. But the majority seemed to feel the Jet Fin had the hydro-edge.
2) Venting; the Jet vents overlap, possibly creating some useful hydro-dynamics. The Rocket vents merely provide an extra option to hang your fins on the wall.
3) Size (seems Rocket can be a squeeze for bigger feets.)
4) Annecdotals: one fellow in Rockets couldn't keep up with his Jet-footed buddies, when he had not had the problem before.
My conclusion? It's a tough call. People differ in technique, and not many have actually tried both fins over an extended time, in varying conditions. What, they're out there having fun, when they could be providing data? I'll go with the Jets, and if I find some bargain Rockets I'll grab'em and do my own comparison. In the meantime I'm going to work on proficiency in various finning techniques so that I can test the fins and not the diver. :-)

http://www.scubaboard.com/archive/index.php/t-10319.html

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.