diver.net

Re: How was Osborne Banks?

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim Burke on June 18, 2006 at 21:41:30:

In Reply to: How was Osborne Banks? posted by MarkL on June 18, 2006 at 17:32:11:

We headed out to the Osborn Banks at 01:00. When we got to Angles Gate I thought there was no way we were going to Osborn. It was very nasty. I got up and talked to Kevin (Second Captain of the GE) and told him if it did not get better soon, turn to San Clemente.
After at least an hour of getting pounded it calmed down. I, along with the rest of the boat thought we had in fact turned to San Clemente. Not so. The swells dropped and when I took over the wheel, it was sloppy but doable.
Ross came up to the wheelhouse and asked to check things out and gave me a spot that a sub had checked out awhile back. The sub confirmed the high spot of about 135’. I looked for the spot but a little off; I had transposed a couple of numbers. Then Bob came into the wheelhouse and said he had a 114’ high spot. We looked for it, but it was surrounded by 200 + feet so I did not try for it.
Found a spot in between all of this in 122’ and it varied between 130 to 140. I liked that. A small surface current, but none on the bottom. Vis was around 50 to 70’. The only disappointment was a few years ago I went here and dove, it along with Chris and there was purple coral in excess of 3’. There was none of this here, but coral everywhere. All had a great time, and Ross has promised me underwater 3d pics of the banks. Who knows, perhaps they will uncover a nice new high spot.
I am sure that there will be many more reviews of this dive. Both Elaine and Chris, with many others took lots of pics and videos.
Captain Tim
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to