diver.net

A few thoughts for the dive community to consider

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 21, 2006 at 23:22:19:

As most of you know, for a wide variety of reasons, I haven't contributed to this list in a material fashion for many many years. With that said, I hope you all will consifer this analysis beyond the scope of the past spirited debates and take these thoughts on the merits of the discussion, and not based on pre-disposed ill feelings.

I have had the opportunity to review the trip reports from the most recent trip to Osborne Banks, and TFR if I were to ever join a dive clud it would be the Sea Divers. I have had the opportunity to dive with them for the better part of a decade and I believe them to be the pick of the lot. That isn't to infer that there aren't other clubs of merit out there, it's just simply meant to offer that my experiences wit them have always been better then most.

My thoughts to offer for consideration and discussion is that does it strike anyone else as strange that that one of the premiere clubs out there would go to a dive location, that by definition is severly a advanced dive site [ ie; minimum meaningful depth is 150'+ ] would take a group that is NOT technically trained for the most part, and in point of fact precludes diving Trimix?

I am honestly NOT trying to slam anyone, nor am I trying to suggest malfeance on anyone's part inasmuch as I'm trying to suggest that isn't time for the local community to accept that there are a vast amount of diver's in our local community that have the will to do the aggressive type diving but lack the proper training to do so.. FTR, I have no problem with divers that want to dive 150', 200', 250' or even deeper, but what I do sruggle with is recreationally trained divers exceeded otherwise acceptable "limits" under a misguided paradigm of "I've been diving this way for X number of years"

I appreciate that this may not be a populuar position to advocate but I hope to spur a discussion as to the merits of diving these type of sites absent the proper training.

I accept your thoughts..

Regards

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to