diver.net

No, Read the Posts

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on June 22, 2006 at 15:33:55:

In Reply to: Re: That is your view posted by Hypocrite on June 22, 2006 at 14:54:33:

There is a big difference between good diving skills and "This is the only way to dive". There is a difference between "This is what works for me" and "everyone who doesn't do it my way is dangerous". There is a difference between "diving is a hazzardous sport" and "because you don't do it my way you are all going to die - just wait for the boogie man - you will see". There is a difference between making a statement and backing it up without putting others down and "using" others to promote what you believe in - especially when you are teaching what and a personal profit is involved.

I'm a recreational diver and I love it. I will defend recreatioal diving. Over 20 years I have accumulated a lot of certifications that people don't know about, and a lot of experience that most people don't know about. In my experience, I have found, that I don't need the fluff. I can do most of what I want to do as a recreational diver who occasionally sips nitrox. In looking back I didn't need to spend a lot of the time and money that I spent on special equipment that I don't use, and certifications for styles of diving that I don't do. The most valuable thing that I could have done is to just work to strengthen my basic diving skills, because those are the skills that I use on every dive. I got my skills from a variety of sources - They all had their strengths and weaknesses but I found none of them to be "superior" to any other - scuba diving is not the "Karate style wars" (this type of karate is the most superior).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to