diver.net

I happen to agree with Michael

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on June 22, 2006 at 15:58:52:

In Reply to: A few thoughts for the dive community to consider posted by MHK on June 21, 2006 at 23:22:19:

I happen to agree with what Micahel said. (Anyone need some resusitation????)

Personally, I think this type of diving to extreme depths, no matter how you do it, entails risks that I choose personally not to take. But that being said, IF you're going to do this, you should understand those risks, get the proper training, and do it as "right" as you can.

Too often in the dive community, people think they're mitigating the risk and can handle the situation when all they're doing is dodging a bullet they don't even realize is whizzing by their head.

For ANY dive you're going to do, whether it's to 30 feet or 300 feet, you need to be properly trained and prepared. By definition, dives outside of the strict definition of "recreational" (deeper than 130, exceeding deco limits, diving on non-stanbdard air mixture) qualify as "technical" and mandate appropriate training and skill.

How ironic that this discussion takes place the very day our annual "Common Sense" ad runs in California Diving News (page 11).

And for those who don't accept this premise, please make plans to attend "Why Divers Die" on Saturday at 3PM at the Scuba Show in room 203A. John Kades (LA County Coroner), Mark Tulin (Catalina Hyperbaric Chmaber), and myself (Gear tester/forensic consultant for the Coroner) will present three fatalties from the past year and tell you what we concluded. (And one of them can at best be described as "suspicious" circumstances.)

Divers are dodging bullets and making it back from dives that exceed their abilities every day. That doesn't make them safe. It just makes them lucky.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full