diver.net

Re: A few thoughts for the dive community to consider

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Bill Bushing on June 22, 2006 at 20:58:42:

In Reply to: A few thoughts for the dive community to consider posted by MHK on June 21, 2006 at 23:22:19:

There is no question that Mike has a good point here. I've seen such things too often on various dive boats and international dive trips.

I am one of those who has not taken tech training appropriate to some of the diving I do. I occasionally dive deeper than 130 ft, with 180 ft being my absolute basement at this time. I have done multiple deco dives in a day. I solo dive almost all the time.

Incidents involving friends who are good, experienced divers have me frequently reflecting on the risks I take in doing so. Although I dive with great redundancy, there is no question that something could happen at any time that might result in my injury of even death.

With 45 years of diving history behind me, I'm still smart enough to recognize I am occasionally at risk. I do seek additional information from tech instructors and others, but have no formal tech certification.

With a son to consider, and other loved ones as well, there is an element of risk I should NOT accept. I'm happy diving every dive to no more than 100 ft, and do that often... there is plenty to see and film. However, I am contemplating more formal training to better prepare myself for the occasional deep dives I do to document marine life not otherwise seen.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to