diver.net

diving and photographers- not related to recent posts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by divinotter on June 23, 2006 at 18:16:27:

This may not be the right time to bring this up, but, I’ve often wondered what support we as divers can give to our community of photographers

Here’s where I’m going, when I started diving I thought about taking pictures but it is so darn expensive and I’m not done with just ‘exploring’ and using my mind as a camera yet. I know I won’t ever put the money into underwater pictures - not to mention the task loading it takes to carry a camera- I just enjoy being down there and would like to spend the money on trips.

That’s why I check this board so often. When I’ve had a long day and want to be in the ocean, I can read about a trip or look at the pictures- the pictures are wonderful.

I know that a lot of people have been generous with their photographs, but what can we do for them? I’ll bet for every one who posts pictures, there are ten of us who can’t.

It’s too bad we can’t have a photographer’s day, where money is donated or raised to help buy equipment that can be checked out on loan for these photographers – batteries, strobes, film, memory sticks, etc. I wonder if local dive clubs could monitor the equip. Or just have a photographer’s appreciation day where we bring pot luck and bring old equipment to give away to photographers who could scavenge them for parts. Or have the photo people bring prints for us to buy , so they can re-coup some of their investment. I’m just thinking out loud as I write – but it seems like all the photo people should get some kudos for their hard work.

I purposely didn’t name names as there are too many of you out there and I would forget someone.I guess doing anything could result in a political nightmare, for photogs as well as viewers, but there must be a way.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to