diver.net

Re: Training vs. experience

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on June 23, 2006 at 19:37:26:

In Reply to: Training vs. experience posted by Ken Kurtis on June 23, 2006 at 15:06:35:

I would have rather you had responded to my other question, but whatever.
>I did it and nothing bad happened so I guess I'm qualified<
I don't go with that. Lots of bad things happened and then I had experience with things that no training could teach. that was both good experience and good training. ...Yah, but it wasn't all luck.
I've used junkier gear than most people have ever seen. I've had surprisingly few gear failures, but I have. I managed them. Yah, but it wasn't all luck.
Have you ever had a second stage fall off your regulator hose when testing gear? Ask John B. about that.
I've gone in water that was mad. That is very educational. I don't rely on luck there. That's knowledge, skill and practice.
Really, I admit I'm not a good example, but what am I s'posed to take a class in? Night diving... UW Navigation... Hunting.... beach diving....small boat diving... rescue....? I know, photography.
Still, tell the truth. Say what you are hinting. I think you have said that you don't think the Sea Divers are qualified to dive the Moody or the Osborn. Why not get it off your chest and admit it. Then, like Michael's view, it just becomes an opinion. At least you admit that it is a choice.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.